Tuesday, May 28, 2013

How many ball have you felt in your life?

So I started my large animal clinical EMS yesterday and it's amazing! Sorry in advance I didn't post yesterday but as I got up at 445 and got home at 730 I was quite tired. So here's what's happened.
Yesterday I got to the practise after having a wee breakfast at a local cafe since I got in super early (just in case something went wrong) and started my day by going to see a calf who's leg had been broken so we could remove the cast. It seems to be healing well so that's good! Then at the same farm we put rings in a few bulls noses since they were going to market probably next week sometime. Think a really big nose piercing. Why these are used I learned later that day. . Also at this farm there was a calf that had pneumonia so we listened to his lungs and gave some injections and hopefully he'll feel all better soon! There was also a calf that seemed to have some upper respiratory infection so we have him some jabs as well.
Then we went to another farm and dehorned some 20 odd calves. That's certainly an experience. First you inject then with a anaesthetic, which I got to do! Then you cut their horns off with a dehorner, which kind of scoops them out, then you cauterise the area with red hot metal to stop the bleeding and stop horn regrowth. It took a long time and was pretty bloody, but definitely interesting to see!
Then we went to another farm, this time I was with a different vet, to go to fertility testing on a group of newly purchased bulls. An older vet was there and he was surprised to find that I was only a 3rd year, but was impressed that I new all te beef breeds we were working on so yay he thinks I know stuff! So if you've never seen electro-ejaculation, and neither had I, it basically this giant think that looks like a rocket ship that you insert into the bulls rectum that lets off alternating waves of current on the accessory sex glands and causes the bull the ejaculate so you can collect the semen for analysis. For the analysis you put 2 drops on a slide that has a heated stage and look at it's movement. If it moves a lot it's good, of it doesn't that's not so great. Then you do a 1:9 dilution in ringers and look at that under the scope at a higher magnification, looking for sperm motility and amount of sperm moving. Then you stain a slide and look at them later in the lab. Also for assessing fertility you palpate the testicles and do a rectal to check the prostate and seminal vesicles. It was really cool to do, except toward the end when the bulls were being a pain and not wanted to go down to the crush, so the older vet had to try to pull them down the run via their nose ring and head halter, but if a bull doesn't want to move, it's not gonna!
Today I got to sleep in later since I knew where I was going and it wasn't a stupid bank holiday and the buses were running. When I got in I went out and we did some pregnancy diagnoses on a group of bull cows, all very positive. And it was great practice for me to get used to rectal exams and how a later pregnancy feel once the foetus has passed over the pelvic brim. So cool! Then we went out to see about a calf that needed fluids and a cow that was off her food, supposedly. I got to see how you IV catheter a calf and then it turned out that the cow had matritis, but ate the concentrates we fed her with gusto, so there may have been silage problems there as well, but who knows. Then we got called to a calving, potential Caesarian, which ended up being a Caesarian! Even though it kind of sucks for the farmer, I was quite excited! It was so cool and the calf we pulled out was a monster bull! He had a bit of trouble getting going but by the time we were done he was standing! Now I'm on the train home, where I will eat and sleep to start afresh tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. What meds do you use for the pneumonia injections??

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like an awesome experience - love reading about it

    ReplyDelete